Kidnapping, murder suspect behind bars | News
SMITH COUNTY, TX (KLTV)- An East Texas murder suspect is now behind bars.
Jackie Martez Gutherie is accused of fatally shooting Chantel Barrett Thursday night in Henderson County.
After the shooting, authorities say he kidnapped his pregnant girlfriend, Tiffany Hurd.
On Friday night, Guthrie and Hurd were located in Galveston.
When the officer told Guthrie to get on the ground and surrender, they say he hesitated and seemed like he was going to put up a fight.
However, officers say he surrendered because of Tiffany.
Tiffany Hurd spoke with KLTV 7 on Monday, and while she is not allowed to discuss specifics of what happened Thursday night, she said she never expected it to happen.
"I never did think he'd do nothing like that, because just probably earlier that week, this week, actually, or three days before, he was with both of us together and they was smiling, we all laughed, and I didn't think he would do nothing like that," Hurd said.
The funeral service for the murder victim, Chantel Barrett, was held Monday morning.
Copyright 2012 KLTV. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Student safety concerns prompt ETX apartment renovations
- Arrest affidavit reveals details surrounding East Texans' solicitation of a minor charge
- Tyler's second emergency warning test this month
- Breast cancer patient: 'I'm facing my new reality. I'm a survivor.'
- Man arrested for theft of metal parts in Smith County
- VIRAL VIDEO: Man shares Abercrombie & Fitch clothing with homeless
- Liberty Hall welcomes singer, songwriter and author David Berkeley
- Hospice East Texas named as Prestigious 2013 HOSPICE HONORS recipient
- Registration opens for kids summer drama camp at Liberty Hall
- Lone Star chefs asked to 'go local' during Go Texan Restaurant Roundup