Explosion aftermath: How to help the people of West | News
After Wednesday night's devastating fertilizer plant explosion in West, Texas, many people are wondering how they can help.
We have compiled a list of groups, organizations and websites which are reaching out to the people affected by the explosion and whom you can contact to be a part of the efforts to assist in recovery in the area.
Donate blood: Visit the Carter Blood Care website for more information, or call (903) 535-5400.
Carter Blood Care also has the following drives lined up today through Saturday:
Blood drive Monday 6:30pm with Carter Blood Care at Noonday VFD.
UT Tyler - Thursday and Friday from 10-5 in front of the student center AND near the business building.
Cotton Belt Building, Tyler - Thursday until 1:30 p.m.
Texas College - Saturday from 10:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m.
There will be a mobile unit in Greenville at the Hunt Co. Regional Hospital from 1:30pm until 6:00 p.m.
Mission Tyler is collecting gift cards to share with people in the explosion area for their needs in the aftermath of the explosion. Call or text Mission Tyler director Travis White at 903.780.3477 to give.
Salvation Army: 5 canteens (mobile kitchens) are out in West, Texas, serving breakfast and hot coffee to survivors and first responders. Rain suits, jackets and blankets are also being distributed.
SHAGfitness 6913 Camp Bowie #111-will be driving to West on Saturday with all donated items. 817-296-1769
The most effective way to support The Salvation Army response in West, Texas, is by making a financial contribution:
• MAIL – please send checks to The Salvation Army, PO Box 36607, Dallas, TX 75235
• PHONE at 1-800-SAL-ARMY
• ONLINE at www.salvationarmytexas.org
Lone Star Military Farmers and Jacksonville Marine Corp League, will be accepting donations Saturday 10:00 amto 2:00 pm at Atwood's parking lot in Jacksonville,Tx. for the families of West Texas. Relay for Life will be selling Hot Dogs during the same time. Please come by and make a donation to each. Thank you we will be taking toiletries, blankets, towels, diapers, wipes, gatoraid, water and clothing..
Drop-off locations for goods/money:
Smith County VFD accepting donations for West VFD. Make checks out to Red Cross or Salvation Army. Write in the memo: West, TX Explosion. Take checks to Whitehouse #2 Station on Highway 110 or Lindale Firestation on FM 16.
OSBORN CRAWFISH HOLE, Hwy 31 in Kilgore, is loading up an 18-wheeler with donations and is leaving, I believe this weekend. So, if y'all have any of the much-needed items to donate, please take them to Kilgore for those of us in Longview and areas close to Kilgore! (903) 983-1810 for more info.
Lone Star Military Farmers and Jacksonville Marine Corp League Saturday 10:00am- 2:00pm in Jacksonville, Texas, will be at Atwoods parking lot accepting donations. .Please make sure to come by and make a donation. 903-243-0487 is the contact number.
Lindale FFA Ag teachers/students - Gathering donations in the Ag shop at Lindale High School and will deliver to Waco area next Friday or Saturday morning. Volunteers interested in going to serve in the area April 27-28, contact Rebecca Curry at CurryRA@lindaleeagles.org. We will stockpile donations in the Ag shop from 7:00 am-4:00 pm this school week and next. If you would like to make a donation but cannot make those hours please let me know and I will meet you here whenever you can make it. (903)881-4050.
Donations in the West area:
- The Extraco Events Center will be setting up to take donations starting tomorrow at 9:00 am. For information call 254-776-1660
- The Home Depot store in Bellmead will be open all night for those who need plywood, generators, etc.
- Both Peas & Tots and Smarty Pants consignment stores in Waco are accepting clothing donations in all sizes for those in West
- Axtell High School will be taking any kind of donations at the school tomorrow! Please donate anything! The PALS organization is taking all donations and will be accepting tomorrow and Friday during school
- Latham Springs Baptist has offered to house any displaced families from this tragedy. Hillcrest and Providence are doing a heroic job of attending to those in need.
- From Cen-Tex Roofing Systems - (Facebook page information) Anyone in West that needs tarps or plywood call my office (254)751-7700. We have crews ready to help. No charge people!
- According to manager Mike Cooper, Carl's Jr. in Waco off New Road + 35 offering 50% off for blood donors.
- I love Texas Facebook page has many more local posts from the West and Waco areas.
- CCPRNOKILL Animal Rescue and Bow Wow Boutique Boarding and Grooming in Gatesville have offered to help with lost pets from the West Explosion. If you have pets that need temporary boarding please contact Barbi Straub at 254-248-5002.
If you are looking for information on a loved one, the hotline number is 254.202.1100 or you can check out Safe & Well site: redcross.org/safeandwell.
The Humane Society of Central Texas will have our van at the Marable exit at St. Francis Church in West to transport any displaced pets to the shelter in Waco! Pictures of the pets brought in from West will be put in a special Facebook album to make them easy to identify. We are available as needed!!! 254-754-1454
Helpful Twitter Feeds
Before donating to groups/orgs/individuals that you are not familiar with, contact The Better Business Bureau or give to a group that you feel confident working with.
Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Tyler students awarded donated bicycles for their good behavior
- HUG a Firefighter program eases kids' fears of firefighters in full gear
- Man texting and driving loses control, hits utility pole on Loop 323
- East Texans remember: 'America changed that day'
- Ables-Land Office Supply celebrates 50 years in business